The Personal Trainer, under the direct supervision of the Healthy Living Coordinator, will be responsible and accountable for assisting in the development of the Health and Wellness department and supervision of Personal Training Programs held at the Portage Township YMCA. The position helps to ensure that these programs are aligned with the Y’s cause and meets the needs of our members and the community.
The Personal Trainer must demonstrate a personal commitment to the mission of the YMCA. He/She must set the example for others to follow. Good communication skills (written and verbal) are essential, along with the ability to work effectively with people as a team. Must be able to promote the programs and services of the YMCA, dress appropriately to fit the task, friendly, and exhibit good health habits. This position requires good organizational skills, strong human relation skills, and the ability to adapt to a changing environment. The ability to maintain harmonious relationships with staff, volunteers, members, and guests are essential.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides staff & volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Directs and supervises program activities to meet YMCA objectives. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships within the community. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- The Personal Trainer will have specific knowledge of basic human anatomy and physiology as well as exercise prescription and training techniques. He/She must hold a nationally recognized personal trainer certification AAPTE, ACE, ACSM, NASM, NCCPT, NCSF, NETA, NSCA, The Cooper Institute.
- Within 30 days of hire completion of: Adult CPR; AED; First Aid.
- Work with the Healthy Living Coordinator to develop the needs of the Personal Training Program.
- Acquire knowledge to develop safe and effective personalized fitness programs for clients, including cardiovascular, strength training, and flexibility components, based on their goals and motivations.
- Perform fitness assessments including body fat composition, strength, and flexibility and cardiovascular functions.
- Promote the Personal Training Program to the members of the YMCA.
- Setup and maintain equipment, store and secure equipment upon completion of each session.
- Create a positive working environment which encourages and motivates others to become more involved in the YMCA.
- Maintain and evaluate the fitness equipment, reporting the needs of the program to the Healthy Living Coordinator
- Plan and implement new classes, employing new music and choreography to maintain member interest
- Demonstrate proper form/technique and verbally cue members; correct form is necessary
- The Personal Trainer will maintain their certifications and stay current with exercise techniques
- Attend meetings when requested
- Understands and signed the non-compete policy
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employee for this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhausted list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee assigned to this job. The job description does not constitute and employment agreement between the Portage Township YMCA and the employee and is subject to change by the Portage Township YMCA as the needs of the association and requirements of the job change.
Shifts depending on client availability.